1. Back up iPhone. Open iTunes with Control, then choose the path /Extie/backup/Music/iTunes
2. Seems to be adding missing apps to iTunes, but alarmingly is also removing apps from iPhone? Not good.
(After this was done, some stuff seemed to be removed, but I can’t verify that. Things were moved around a little on the iPhone, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t lose anything like contacts, music, settings- we’ll see.)
3. Did a “Sync Address Book Contacts” and selected “Merge”…everything looked ok on the iPhone, so far.
4. Did a “Sync iCal Calendars”…This did not give the “Merge” option. It just did it. As far as I can tell, everything is still on my iPhone.
5. Chose not to do a “Sync Mail Accounts”, since everything I have is pulled from either work Exchange server, or a Gmail account (or Mobile Me).
6. Did another iPhone sync. Everything still seems to be in order.
7. Now trying to restore backup. Uh oh. Wants a password. I don’t have a password. Are you serious? !!!
8. In damage control, now. Found an article that I’m hoping will help.
9. Navigated to path: /Users/User/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and copied “Backup” to “Backup.bak.16mar2011”.
Here’s what we have in the MobileSync directory:
drwxr-xr-x 3 User staff 102 Dec 17 17:42 Backup
drwxr-xr-x 3 User staff 102 Mar 16 21:42 Backup.bak.16mar2011
Backed up: /Volumes/external/backup/System Settings/iPhone/Backup to Backup.bak.16mar2011
10. Went to sleep on this issue, frustrated and tired.
11. Read this site and decided to try some old iPhone pins (4 digit codes), again. One that I was sure I’d tried before- worked!
12. At some point in this process, I had a pretty sincere prayer.
13. This is going to help no one, unless, for some odd reason, the password that they’re being prompted for is an iPhone PIN (or they pray).